Unlike many research writing texts on the commercial market, this text has the following key features:
- Treats research writing as a rhetorical process
- Teaches use of research in different genres (not just the generic research paper). This approach allows the text to be used in a variety of writing and rhetoric classes.
- Discusses the use of various kinds of research sources (academic ones and others)
- Contains links to resources and multimedia which help students to understand and practice key concepts
- Presents students and instructors with a "menu" of approaches and tasks suitable for different audiences and courses.